Tuesday 28 June 2011

Alpaca meat for sale in Cumbria?

Maybe something has happened that I don't know about...but I thought it wasn't possible to legally butcher alpacas in the UK? Well today I heard differently...and I still can't believe what I have been told.

A journalist and photographer from The Cumberland News arrived this afternoon, as previously arranged. Having anticipated the 'what do you do with them...can you eat them?" comment; I had some knitwear, throws and yarn on display. However, they were one step ahead of me. "Do you know that some breeder from Brampton (in Cumbria) is selling alpaca meat at the farmers markets" was an opening line. I suggested that it must be a spoof and explained that no one was licensed to slaughter alpacas here...but they had already checked...and reported that that a slaughter house has been granted a licence. I cannot find out anymore imformation...I still feel that it can't be correct...but I am sure we will hear more, if this is the case.

The photographer got more than he bargained for...after being assurred that they would not bite, kick or spit...he was anticipating that getting the alpacas to look to camera might be a little difficult....not ours they love it...Minnie was actually chasing him trying to get in the photos...it was rather amusing.

Since having Max, Minnie has returned to her pre-pregnancy super friendly self:


Minnie and Robyn


Looks like Max is going to take after his Mum!

Both of Synergy and Rumour are doing well. Rumour, who lost a little due to feeding difficulties, was back up to her birth weight this morning. I am just giving minimal supplementation with bottled goats milk now. She is adorable...soo difficult not to cuddle...especially when doing neck physio (there is only a subtle difference any way!)

P.S Not getting to the hairdressers probably worked well...I had fawn, brown, grey and white yarn on display. The photographer asked if Tyke, our minature Yorkie, could be in the yarn photo as well, as he toned in well...so my hair must have been just the job! The photographer must have misheard Tyke's name and kept calling him Tiger...so most of the photos have Robyn and I in fits of giggles...

13 comments:

  1. Our Breton neighbours always ask whether you can eat alpaca so my pat response is "Well yes, but I'm told that it's horrible!" I say this with a twinkle in my eye and we all laugh.... but I do think they leave believing me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We know of a abattoir that has a license and it is supposed to be very good especially the burgers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no that's awful!! cant bear the thought of eating alpaca, surely there's not enough meat on them to make it worth it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is the idea of sending them to an abbotoir and how they would be handled there that worries me most - not that I could ever envisage eating mine anyway!
    Both Robyn and Minnie look absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a keen cook, man of the world and rational scientist, meat eater and former sheep hand I am trying to convince myself that I am OK with this... Ill let you know if and when I succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was told a little while ago that a breeder (who I'd better not name)over in Cumbria had obtained a licence to slaughter alpacas. I told the informant they must be mistaken, but they told me they knew the breeder, maybe they were right afterall.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well thats definitely not a road which I will go down...I can assure you.....anyway..isnt there enough other meat to eat already !.....that would be enough .....to stop me breeding them completely !........Definitely not going there !!..Its really quite disturbing !!...Jayne

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's something that's been around for some time now over here in Oz. Steve Ridout (a well known breeder and alpaca judge) has a business - LaViande (www.laviande.com.au) based around it. Simon Bryant, one of our 'celebrity chefs' is a keen proponent, often including it on his menu at the Adelaide Hilton. I have tried it, both as a prime cut and as sausages. On the plus side, it's low-fat, versatile and tender. On the down side I think it's a bit bland - a bit like veal. It will happen as the the herd size increases and alpacas are seen more and more as a commercial, broadacre industry. But at the moment, it's not for us. Even setting aside the emotional reasons for moment - the sums just don't add up - they're still worth far more alive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have further information and it does appear to be true. Strange as the breeder is still actively advertising alpacas for sale...as Perry says surely more valuable alive? I agree plenty of other meat around without eating alpacas.

    Watch out Explorer...more smiling please...chump chops!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The very thought of alpaca meat served on the dinner table is abhorrent!! I agree with many of the other breeders......these gorgeous creatures are worth much much more alive!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes we do alpaca meat and have been since June 2011. It is not for everyone but as long as the animal welfare is the best then I see no reason why not. Especially if we are to take the alpaca business seriously. Jane at Askerton Castle Estate in Cumbria

    ReplyDelete
  12. Alpaca meat is delicious, the argument that there is any moral reason against eating alpaca from anyone but vegetarians or vegans is hypocritical.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think it is horrible. I think that when you growing up your alpacas, they become your friend. Ohhh, I can't eat my friend.

    alpacas for sale uk

    ReplyDelete